Tuesday, May 11, 2010

April 2010 BJP ~ Throw Caution to the Wind

I guess there comes a time when you just have to "throw caution to the wind" and go with the flow....This is where I found myself  at the end of March/beginning of April.

I found myself one Friday with a rare day off.  I was intent on catching up on laundry and cleaning....in other words I was beyond bored!  Just tired of looking at the same walls day in and day out....  I found myself online visiting Facebook and had posted the question...."What's everyone doing this weekend?".  A friend from my childhood said to come by her bar she owns in town.  I thought, "Hmmm, I haven't talked to her in YEARS!  We should really go....just for one drink at least".  So, I ran up to tell my hubby that's what we were doing.  I think he was just as shocked as I was by that statement.  We've monitored each and every penny spent for 2 years ~ we couldn't affrord to go out....but I didn't care anymore.  We have been getting NO WHERE being careful and cautious and stressed.  Plus the "drama" surrounding our other friends was reaching the boiling point.  We needed something different.

I had been saving money here and there, where and when I could and had kept it hidden away so no one knew I ever had it.....I figured, what am I saving this for?  Another bill?  NO!  I was saving it for a fun time.  So what better time than this to dip in and use some of it.  No harm done really....

So we went out, I got to reconnect with an old childhood friend I hadn't really talked to in eons, we met some fun new people and totally intended on coming home early, but.....we closed the place!  Two weeks later we went again.  Same thing...had a blast!  The following weekend was a high school get together there....MORE fun!  Just what the doctor would have ordered, I'm sure. 

It was wonderful to just let go of all the stress and worry we've been carrying for two years, for a couple of times out.  I was happy, I was my old self again!  I really wish we could go out and do different things more often, but alas.....I really don't want to let go of ALL of my money.....It feels good to have money in my pocket.  Just like old times. 

My piece was one I started for January of this year.  I didn't like it, so put it away.  When I started thinking for April, I looked at it again.  I saw it in a different way than was originally intended.....It seemed to fit the mood I was in.  So instead of planning what I would make from this, I "threw caution to the wind" and started going at it.  There is no rhyme or reason to it, no purpose.  It just is what it is....I randomly picked colors from my ever growing stash and put them on anyway I felt like it.  I had no real intent.  I just wanted to "go with the flow" for once.  And even though it isn't completely covered and the background is visible....that is the way I want it.  Maybe someday I'll fill it all in, but for now I'm happy with it and right now that's just what matters....

Enjoy!

8 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Gosh Kelly, the piece is really pretty. I love the colors you chose to outline the center. It reminds me of a geode.

So glad you went out and enjoyed yourselves. Sometimes you just need a change of pace to break the stress.

Try to keep it light!!

Anonymous said...

Improvisation beading at it's best!

a2susan said...

I'm glad you let loose a bit, the fun you had is definitely reflected in your piece.

Kelly, you might want to fix the link you gave on your post, because it isn't working, and I think a lot of people would appreciate seeing this great post.

Kelly said...

Thanks for the great comments! It feels wonderful to let loose and go with it for once....been too long IMO....

Thanks for letting me know about the link. It should be working fine now. :)

Robin said...

Oh, Kelly!!! What a fabulous piece!!! It has the feel of primitive art, only with some sweet and gentle quality to it. Like a child might draw when they are feeling calm and well fed. I will return and look at it again, after writing this comment, because it makes me feel good... like a visual lullabye. Thanks for posting the picture!!!! Glad you went out with your husband and had a good time twice.... Two years is a very long time to pinch pennies. Hope that time is ending now.

Penny said...

This piece is beautifully flowing - it makes me think of spring and the lightheartedness that always brings.

Magpie Sue said...

Someday I hope to be able to work that freely, at least once. I find I have to have at least some idea of where I'm headed - even if I end up somewhere else altogether - or I can't even begin!

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean about the never-ending pinching penny's and feeling like you are still getting no where, I hope that will ease up for you soon. Very glad you had a chance and took it to go out and have a great time!

Lovely beadwork, it makes me think of the sun dancing for some reason... just doing a happy peaceful dance of joy. Very very nice to just sit and look at.