Sunday, March 21, 2010

I Learned Something Fantastic in March!

For March I was thinking again, with my craft side of the brain.  What ended up happening was I learned how to give of my time in a more constructive way.  Not like usual with people wanting or "needing" me to do something for them, but for a cause! 

My brother in law was planning a charity event at his house for St. Baldrick's Foundation.  He'd been planning this since May or so.  But, life was getting in his way of what he needed to do for the event when he happened to call here a couple of weeks ago.  I happened to be the one who answered the call and I, all of a sudden, asked what he needed done and then stepped in to help him.  Before I know it, I'm in charge of quite a bit. 

I really enjoyed the "jobs" I had.  How organized I felt.  How truly needed I was ~ and not needed for a selfish reason but ~ for a truly good purpose.  It just felt great!  I also think I surprised my brother in law in way I got things handled.  I don't think he knew what I could do.   I wasn't even sure I could get all the things done he needed myself, but I did!

Our event was last night and it ened up being a great success!  I got there to help finalize the set up and arrangements and it hit me.....I've never done this stuff before!  I have no clue what I'm doing!  But, I must have covered pretty well.  I was still in charge of things!  I had "helpers" who came to me with questions I had answers to.  Wow!  It was amazing!  I had no idea there were so many rules to follow in doing an event like this.  We made some mistakes, but nothing big and we learned from them for next year.  We all had a fun time and did it for a reason. 

The lessons learned this month were many.  I learned that to give of my time in this way is much more enjoyable than I'm usually asked.  I learned that when I get out of my "comfort zone" I can succeed.  I learned that I like doing this and want to continue giving of my time in this manner.  Can't wait for next year! 

Here are a couple of pictures from our event.  AND we are still accepting donations online.  If you care to contribute to the cause you can go here to make a donation on the secure website http://www.stbaldricks.org/events/mypage/eventid/2440/eventYear/2010 .  We have surpassed our goal and got a couple of last minute Shavees at the event.  (Another lesson learned!  I should have posted this 2 wks ago!)

Our original Shavees.  My daughter (with the glasses) was our Stylist for the event.


After picture.  Don't they all look AWESOME!


No comments: