Sunday, December 19, 2010

Three Months ~ The Final 2010 Challenge

With the year winding to an end, I thought I'd finish up the 2010 challenge I made for myself --finally!

In October, I learned the hard way (and quite quickly) that I should never feel comfortable with where I'm at with my schoolwork.  It got a lot harder and I seemed to have gotten double the homework overnight.  This, I was told, was what happens at midterms.  I hadn't thought of that!  One student I got to talking to said that from now on, always mark the calendar for mid-term and you'll be ready.  We'll see how that goes for my next semester.  I also found that the expectations of the instructors changed along with this.  They seemed to want and expect more, without telling you.  Good thing most of the papers we had to write we could resubmit again if there were major issues, and/or that you could actually ask the instructor for feedback before submitting an assignment.  This amazes me!

In November, I learned that no matter what I did, I seriously couldn't please anyone but maybe myself -- and apparently, that's a bad thing!  My sister-in-law held a baby shower for her daughter, on a Saturday, when I had class.  I apologized that I couldn't miss that class (which was true), my oldest had to work and couldn't get that day off; therefore, my two littlest girls wouldn't be coming.  I explained this a couple of times.  I also stated (a few times) that I would still get her daughter a gift, along with several apologies.

In the end, I heard that they were very mad at me for not coming because I had asked this niece (an English teacher) to help me with an assignment in September and I heard nothing back; therefore, I was mad that she wouldn't DO my homework for me and I was just too cheap to buy a gift.  AHAHAHAHA!!!  I find this VERY funny since I have every email we ever exchanged still.  I showed my husband how ridiculous this all was.  I even sent his sister a nice email (for real!  It was quite nice.) explaining everything and that I had these emails to "prove" myself as well as receipts to show that I did get a gift.  I heard nothing back from her.  Rudeness must run in that part of the family, I guess.

Oh well, I tried.  I don't think I need to do more than that.  As a matter of fact, I won't do more than that.....and my husband agrees!  I also learned NOT to count on anyone for anything (again this was drilled into my head for about the millionth time ~ when will I really learn this!) even when help is offered.  A terrible shame when you're there for family, but they can't be there for you.  Hmmmm.......I'm over it!

In December, I learned that it's quite difficult to maintain a 4.0 GPA in four classes, but feels so wonderful to have been able to actually do it.  That's right! For the first time in my life, I've gotten an A in each of my four classes!  There were so many days I didn't want to do what I needed to, or not go into class, and I'm so very glad I stuck with it.  I'm so proud of myself!  I've also learned this month, with the semester over already, that I sort of miss the classes and the homework~I had a routine.  Even with a million other things I need to do for the holidays and around my house now that I have some free time on my hands....I seem to miss homework.....what's up with that?

All said, I think I have learned a lot this year, I've enjoyed this year, and I can only hope that next year brings me more things to learn (all good I hope!).  It doesn't matter how old you are, there are so many things out there to learn.

Happy Holidays to all!  And thank you all for the uplifting comments you've given me over the year!

No comments: