Sunday, August 15, 2010

Catching Up on My Challenge 2010 June and July

Apparently I'm busier than I thought!

June brought me a challenge I didn't see coming.
One of my babysitting kids will be attending preschool this fall.  She's not quite 3 yet and is as smart as a whip!  So, she is one of the fortunate to get asked to start early.  This is great!  However, I will be losing some money in the process.  All of a sudden it hit me....she'll be in Kindergarten soon and I'll really lose money.  I had to think of something and fast.  So, after much thought, I decided to go back to school.  I figured I could just pick up where I left off many many years ago ( I only needed 2 more classes).  NOPE!

I found out the hard way that things don't work like that.  I found that though my classes will transfer, the program has changed.  I basically have to take the whole program over minus a few classes.  So, another choice to make.  Continue with the plan - Accounting, or start fresh with something new....Once I searched the catalog of classes and degree programs I saw nothing that piqued my interest.  So, I decided to maybe go with a certificate program-fast and easy.  Then I found out that *fafsa* will not cover anything but a degree program.  So, back to the catalog.  Nope, still nothing....Once I found out I could get the finacial part taken care of I figured I would be better off going with what I already know for now.  I made the appointment with the nice counselor and he then tells me I can go for the Bachelor's degree along with the Associates....Hmmmmm more decisions....
To make a real long story not so long, I have time to make that decision.  I learned here through all my many visits to the college, that I am not alone in my quest to better myself at my age (or any age really).  I figured I'd be the oldest person there ~ NOT so!!!  I learned that I have the support of my immediate family, and a lot of my friends as well.  I'll surely be counting on them to help me along....

As for what I learned in July...It would certainly have to be patience.  I was so excited to have gotten myself signed up and registered for classes (and then my 24 yr old too), that I wanted to start right then and there.  Well, I couldn't do that!  So I had to wait.  I wanted to get my books so I could start reading and refreshing my mind on what I would be learning....at least review what I should already know.  But, books didn't go on sale until a week or two ago...I had to wait.  I had such a hard time being patient, I drove myself nuts. 

I finally got my books last week.  YAY!  But, I can't open the packaging until after the first class.  WHAT?  How am I supposed to know what the instructor is talking about?  Apparently, leaving the books in their original package ensures that I will get a full refund in case the instructor changes the book and I have to make an exchange....Now why would they do that right before class?
I guess I didn't really learn how to be more patient yet, did I?  LOL 

3 comments:

a2susan said...

I give you so much credit for taking the big leap to return to college. And you're not alone. My 48 year old sister is doing it, too. Congrats!

jacqui boyd alden said...

congratulations of even attempting to sign up for a degree, let alone do one. Have gotten one through the process, the youngest is about to complete in the next year but the middle one ....well (sigh). Lets just say he is in his 4th yr (not all the time, of course...some detours)and he is still no nearer that elusive goal. Sometimes having too many choices are just that too many :)

Robin said...

Jeeezst, things have sure changed a lot since I went to college... I'd open the darn books and start reading... to heck with refunds... hopefully there'd be something worth my reading time in them.

Anyway, I applaud your decisions and wish you the best with this mid-life challenge! Bravo!

Robin A.