Thursday, January 21, 2010

January's Lesson Learned

For January I wanted to learn some cable stitches in knitting and attempt a hat.  Success!

I tried the XOXO cable pattern and I attempted the "Hosrshoe" cable.  I really found I didn't enjoy doing either as much as I thought.  I'm the kind of person who loves knitting but like it to be mindless ~ so to speak.  I don't like having to get up and come back to try and remember where I left off.  In these cable stitches, I have to pretty much write down what row I'm on.  This is more than the normal ticks I do when I count my rows (I found out quickly I couldn't use a stitch counter with kids around LOL).

So I tried to make my way through the XOXO stiches and finally gave up at about 18-20" and had a scarf.  I then tried the hat....that went a bit better since I really didn't count at all, I just measured and eyeballed it.  No brainer....I thought what a perfect gift for next Christmas for my little niece.  So with that idea in my mind, I went about trying to find instructions for stitches that would fit my other nieces and nephew.  Bingo!  Horseshoe stitch for my niece who loves horses!  I hated it!  Not sure if it was the counting that got me or the yarn I used or what.  So I pulled it out (many times) and finally just put it away.

I figured I try my hand another time on the "horseshoe" stitch.  I did attempt but did not succeed.  Next time I try it, I'll figure out a better way to track my progress and use different yarn I think.

Here is a picture of both the hat and the scarf.  Not too bad I think.  Though this didn't make it to my niece for next Christmas.  One of my adoreable little babysitting kids took it for herself!  She wanted it so badly I couldn't say no!  She does look cute in it!



So, did anyone else learn anything new this month?

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I forgot....I got the instructions from an OLD craft book my Mom had many years a go from like the 80's that shows stitches for all different kinds of crafts. For the hat, I found a few differnt people had the same patterns and just read the instructions, committed them to memory and went.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Well, I probably learned a lot of things this month. I have to try and think of what they are. Not crafty related things for sure.

But I know what you mean about mindless knitting, well, I crochet. But I pick it up to keep my mind busy while waiting. I made a ton of scarves and cowls while waiting to pick up from wrestling practice. Lots of gifts for next year. I want to work something complex but somehow there is not THAT much quiet time. So, I'm back to beading for a while. Pick up, put down...no problem.

Your scarf and hat are lovely. The satisfaction is making someone happy, isn't it.
Carol

Kelly said...

Too true Carol. I have been swamped with requests for knitted items this month and have been working at getting them all started and done. LOL I have very little time myself. That's OK I like to be kept busy this way.
February's learning challenge is going to be crochet! I know how to do it, I just have to LEARN how to get beyond the "Granny Square" and stay consistant with my size.
And I too have learned things NOT craft related for January, just didn't want to bore anyone with them ~ LOL. See February's BJP when it's done.