Monday, March 17, 2008

Schedule Your Time More Effectively

One thing I have learned since opening my website online, is that there is not enough time in the day to get all the things done that need to get done to maintain my site, blogs, social accounts, family time, household duties, friends time, me time, and the list does go on. Something always seems to get put off to the side, for later, when it shouldn't.

Now, I know all about Time Management. I learned it in high school, college, and at the various jobs I've held over the years. I know it is important to schedule your time effectively, so that one can get done the important tasks first, while minimizing stress and staying on top of things. However, this is sometimes easier said then done. Especially online.

Staying focused would have to be a number one tip. For some, a difficult one to follow. I find it the hardest thing to do. I am focused or at least try to be. I will be working on an important task, then find a great bit of information, stop what I was doing to check out the great bit of information, which then leads me to more great bits of information. Before I know it, I have spent 2 hours or more, following great information. Now, I'm behind.

Following a schedule is another great tip. OK, refer to the above paragraph. Not always easy to do either. But, it will help if you make a task list and at least attempt to stick to it. I have made my task list and prioritized it. Now I must follow it and not allow myself to get sidetracked. Keep pen and paper handy while going about your tasks so you can jot down great bits of information to follow up on later~then do it.

http://www.allfreelance.com/freelancing_blog/2008/03/11/online-tools-and-software-for-task-lists-and-to-do-lists-perfect-for-freelancers-self-employed-business-owners/

This link is from a blog I found on www.mixx.com. If you have not joined yet, I recommend you do~highly. There are a ton of great blogs there. Anyway, check out this list of sites and get your lists done, be more organized and hopefully find time in your schedule to relax and enjoy yourself.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Great advice! I have a list obsession and just got myself a new "Things to do" book. It really helps me stay focused and combine etsy, blogland, flikr, designing, making, selling, hoovering, making the dinner and doing washings! Thanks for sharing :)

Kelly said...

Oh yeah, I forgot making dinner and washing clothes! Thanks for reminding me~LOL.
Thanks for your comment. A "Things To Do" list or book works well also.