Is it OK to use a design you saw someone else do in a magazine, online or anywhere? Do you need to state the designer if you do? Can you sell that design?
Sure it's alright to copy a design you find and make one for yourself. People do that all the time. They'll do it to try a new technique, play with color etc. But is it ethical to then sell the design? Even if you use different beads or colors? A lot of people seem to be very torn about this topic. I am too.
Sure I look through magazines and I love to see what others create online. I even like going to the stores to see what I can make for myself. But, my style is basic stringing. Not much to that. For basic stringing, it's all in the color palate, stones, and findings used that makes a design what it is. For me to go and literally copy a design it would be to use the same stones, in the same colors, and use the same findings and that is an exact copy. Would I sell that? Nope!
Is it OK to take the basic pattern and change the stones and colors and sell that? I'm curious what you all think. Leave a comment and let me know.
No comments:
Post a Comment